‘We’re Soundgarden and we’re back!‘
It had been over 15 years since I last saw them, but on Monday night Soundgarden proved they are still 100% legit. Led by a long haired, goatee sporting Chris Cornell, the grunge masters performed one of the hardest hitting shows I have ever seen at Red Rocks. It was the perfect night with a warm breeze, a blood red moon and some good ‘ol 90’s rock and roll! I doubt anyone in the sold-out crowd would argue that this was a massive return to the stage from a band that couldn’t help by please with songs like Outshined, Rusty Cage, Black Holed Sun, The Day I Tried to Live…
Lacking the time this week, I am going to provide some thoughts from a friend, photos and setlist in lieu of a review…
Deep Thought from DLabbs:
- Soundgarden is not on a 401k Tour – they are on a tour to ROCK! Definitely brought energy and were not just going through the motions.
- They stand the test of time better than any other grunge band from 80s/90s – and really they stand the test of time better than most bands of any genre!
- Their library is full of SOOO many bad ass songs!
- I was amazed that I knew most of the words to most of their songs w/o even realizing it
- Arguably one of the best sounding and hard rocking shows music wise that I’ve ever seen
- Chris Cornell was in full-on Soundgarden mode with the long hair and goatee from back in the day – he seems pretty timeless – I could’ve sworn it was the same guy from the 80s/90s singing on stage!
- They played a LONG show and it was almost all music – little banter or breaks which was GREAT!
- Realized how many memories I have attached to their music over the years
- Time to get back to a Soundgarden phase and have all their albums on steady rotation for a while!!
- Great f’ing kick-ass show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Searching With My Good Eye Closed
Let Me Drown
Jesus Christ Pose
Blow Up the Outside World
The Day I Tried to Live
Fell On Black Days
Big Dumb Sex
Nothing To Say
Black Hole Sun
Burden In My hand
4th of July
Beyond the Wheel
Slaves and Bulldozers